Sunday, July 03, 2005

Hiding from the cops

So there I was, for one reason and another, waiting for the Police to turn up.

I'd called them, given them my address, they had passed on my details to the patrol car and they were on their way. I realised the address I was at was a little tricky to find, so I had given them a full address, some notable nearby landmarks, and I was standing lookout by the roadside. Still, it's West London, not some god-forsaken hell-hole, mostly, and so how hard can it be?

40 minutes later I get a call from the controller or someone.

Police: "Are you standing outside?"
Me: "Yes, I'm waiting by the road"
Police: "Well we have two motorcycle units in the area and they've been looking for you for 10 minutes"
Me: "Well I'm here, at xxxx. It's under the main road, near to X, Y & Z"
Police: "Can you tell us where you are?"
Me: "I have done. You have the address, it's near to X, Y, Z"
Police: "Are you near Doo-Doo tube station?"*
Me: "I don't know, but there is a taxi station next to where I am called Doo-Doo taxis, so possibly."
Police: "So you don't know where you are?"
Me: "Yes, I do know where I am - I have the full address and told you what is it near to - it's you who don't know where I am."
Police: "Well alright. Please stand as close as you can to the main road and we will try and find you."

(* There isn't really a Doo-doo tube station, or anywhere actually called X, Y or Z for that matter. I am attempting to be coy about where I was)

The two motorcycle units did turn up about 5 minutes later, in the shape of a single police car, which I though was a little odd. Not as odd as the fact that the London Metropolitan Police have such difficulty finding someone when they have a full address and several notable local landmark details to work with. Maybe they're just not very good at reading maps? I have an annoying GPS unit that will tell me exactly how to get to any given address - surely the Police have access to similar or even better gear than I do?

Anyway, if ever I'm on the run, I now know the perfect hiding place where they'll never find me.....

No comments: