Sunday, April 27, 2008

Parallels

I've been running XP inside OS X using Parallels for a couple of months now, and it's been such a great way to access certain Windows-only functionality (like VPN connections to work) that I am seriously considering getting a Mac for my next work computer.

Today I tried something different and installed Ubuntu 8.04 in Parallels, and that seems to work really well too. The Parallels / OS X integration is superb with Windows (the Coherence mode allows you to seamlessly mix applications from either OS), but that is not available for Ubuntu, which is a shame, but it still runs very well. As I'm using a MacBook without a dedicated graphics card I can't seem to turn on any eye-candy for Ubuntu, but I'll see if I can get around that.

What I would like to do is take the MacBook instead of my work laptop to JavaOne, so I have every OS possible and can show Altio running in Windows, OS X and Linux just by flipping into Parallels. However, time constraints and also paranoia about having US customs decide they want to 'examine' my laptop for a few days means I probably won't be able to.

No comments: