Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Travelling aboot


"I don't even know what street Canada is on."
Al Capone

So, in just over a week I'm off on my Big Canadian Adventure (TM)!

Off to the land of Bryan Adams, Alanis Morisette and Celine Dion. Hmmmm.....why am I going again?

Anyway, it's come around very quickly and I'm just now reading up on all of the places I'm going to, something I should have done a while ago I guess. Despite my rather haphazard planning the trip still looks good and I'm pretty excited about it. It's nearly 6 weeks of scooting around Canada by train, with some bus and ferry rides thrown in for a bit of variety, mostly on my own with my other half meeting me in Vancouver for the final week.

I guess this is my big chance to see some amazing scenery, a lot of it while lounging around on (hopefully) swanky trains, meet some new people and see some bears, while staying far enough away that I can run for it if necessary (from the bears that is).

Things I'll miss while I'm away:
  1. The missus (aaaah)
  2. Riding my motorbike (#2, but I rode it today for the first time in 2 weeks...and maybe I should make it #1 :-)
  3. The cats (mainly because I'm the only one who's nice to 'em!)
Things I'm taking with me;
  1. My Nikon D70, and an enormous amount of memory cards. Seriously.....enormous.
  2. Books.....lots of books. I aim to know more about Che Guevara, the history of Nearly Everything, and be a Sudoku master by the time I get back. And maybe some Spring and Hibernate too if I'm feeling geeky.
  3. Various essential gadgets, such as phone, PDA, MP3 player and their associated chargers...I've heard of travelling light, and I want no part of it.
So unless anything especially interesting happens next week, my next post should be from the land of big mountains, big bears and big adventures.

No comments: