Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tinfoil hat

So my passport is up for renewal, and I've managed to get a work trip to JavaOne in May so I got it renewed last week and it arrived today - which is pretty quick service, although you do pay for it (£73!).

I wasn't sure what to expect, but when I looked at the passport it did indeed have the new biometric nonsense and an RFID chip in it. Having seen some of the scare stories about security problems with these passports I jokingly thought I'd have to get a tin-foil hat for it to shield it. Turns out the US passports actually have the tin-foil shield built into the cover, but I don't know about the UK ones, so I think I'm going to go into paranoia overdrive and get a shield/cover to protect my identity.

Maybe I'm flattering myself that someone would want to steal my identity - perhaps I should let them and see what they do with it - but from what I've read there seem to be enough doubts and easy hacks for RFID enabled security documents to warrant a bit of caution and paranoia on my part.

No comments: